Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pigeon Forge, TN


June 22, 2010

We have taken 2 more hikes since I last wrote. Laurel Falls is a paved walk of about 1.5m to a nice waterfall. Hike in the Smokies usually means straight up, and this was no exception. However, we were not alone. Hundreds of folks like us made the trek on Saturday morning, the lady with a bloody knee foreshadowed our view of the falls.

I have to say, we saw more spectacular falls in the Pacific states, but these were certainly nice and I wanted a better view, one that was on the other side of the folks who stopped right in the middle of the walkway. And stayed there. I was irritated with them, grew impatient, and tried a side-step off the bridge on to the rocks. Not a good idea. Of course I went down to a 2-point landing - right knee and left camera. Several good people helped the old woman up off the rocks, including the 2 people I truly wanted to yell at, "This is all YOUR fault!" I want you to know that embarrassment and self-control prevented the scene from getting out-of-hand. I was fine, the camera not so much. In the mean time, a man arrived from out of the trees to tell the gathered hikers about how much more beautiful the falls are further up. Another day, I might have wanted to go see, and was really tempted; but it seemed best to stay quiet at this time.

On the way back we visited with a couple from New Orleans who were celebrating their 33rd anniversary in the same place as their honeymoon. Nice idea. Nice people. Two of the many who helped me back to an upright position. Russell was worried about my ability to get back to the car(no problem) and correctly predicted many aches and pains in the days to follow.

We walked the neighborhood around the park and completely enjoyed the area, but we waited a couple of days before a trip back to the mountains.

We enjoyed the trek to the Greenbriar School and the Walker Sister's House just inside the park. The Great Smoky Mt. Park is home to the most log cabins anywhere. We really enjoyed the house, fairly large, and clearly livable. The old newspaper is still on the walls in one room. Russell was ready to move in! I don't look for it to happen any time soon, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment